Iran accuses US of last year’s cyber attacks on country’s oil ministry

The cyber police of Iran has accused the US of attacking Iran’s oil ministry website back in April of 2012, Fars news agency reported.

More than a year has passed since the attacks on Iranian oil ministry’s official website, which have made the website unavailable for several hours.

General Kamal Hadyanfar, the head of Iran’s Cyber police told Fars news that the security measures had to be taken as some foreign users were cut off from the website. He also went on to say that security experts found a virus on the website, and managed to neutralize it.

“The carried investigation revealed that the attacks were made from the U.S., and the Iranian side immediately sent a letter to the U.S. government asking them to provide detailed information about the attackers,” Hadyanfar said.

Hadyanfar added that due to attacks, some general information has been stolen from the website, however the security measures allowed Iran to protect sensitive databases from the attacks.

He went on to note that the U.S. government has refused to give out information for security reasons, arguing that the information is confident.

Hadyanfar said the U.S. is behind these attacks, however Iran should consider this refusal as a call to appeal to international courts, to Interpol, regarding the cyber crimes.

The cyber police chief went on to note that before the presidential elections in the country (June 14), there were several intensive hacker attacks carried out on some Iranian news portal, however no hard damage was done.

By The Journal Of Turkish Weekly

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.