President Rouhani defends proposed ministerial team

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has defended his proposed Cabinet lineup, stressing that the individuals nominated for ministerial posts have been picked after long consultations and consideration of all relevant issues.

Addressing the Majlis ahead of a vote of confidence for his proposed Cabinet on Thursday, Rouhani said the ministerial nominees have a long experience of serving the interests of the country over the past three decades.

Urging the MPs to promote tolerance and moderation in the country, Rouhani called on the lawmakers to back his nominees by voting for them.

The legislators have been reviewing the qualifications of the nominees since Monday.

Meanwhile, if any of the 18 proposed ministers fails to win a vote of confidence, Rouhani will have up to three months to name a replacement.

Vice-Speaker of Iran Majlis Mohammad Reza Bahonar said earlier that the Iranian Legislature will remain in session on Thursday until debates on all Cabinet picks are concluded and confirmation votes are cast.

Rouhani submitted his proposed Cabinet lineup during his swearing-in ceremony in Majlis on August 4.

By Press TV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.