Amid the most deadly month in Iraq in five years, the Pentagon has notified Congress of $2.7 billion in new arms sales to the Iraqi government.
The latest contracts, that would provide air defense, communications systems and maintenance, would raise to nearly $5 billion the value of arms sales proposals to Iraq sent to Congress over the past two weeks.
Congress has 30 days to act to block the contracts, but otherwise the arms sales would enjoy a tacit approval.
The biggest contract, which involves the sale of 681 Stinger anti-aircraft missiles and 40 truck-mounted launchers among other advanced equipment, is worth an estimated $2.4 billion.
The Pentagon also requested congressional permission for the sale of 19 mobile radio systems and 10 microwave radio systems worth $339 million.
A $750 million contract would also cover maintenance of American-made vehicles already in use in Iraq for the last decade.
“It was clear from the very beginning of the invasion of Iraq that they [the US] had plans to rebuild and restock the military supplies of the Iraqi army,” said Vietnam War veteran Darnell Stephen Summers.
“This is the nature of what they do, to come in and invade a country, to destroy it and then have Halliburton or some other of its cohorts begin the process of ‘rebuilding’,” he said in an interview with Press TV on Saturday.
Summers said that making money is always “an end game in the process” of deaths and destruction launched by the US military industrial complex.
Iraq has seen a surge in violence since the beginning of this year. Some 671 people have been killed in the holy month of Ramadan alone which ended on Friday.
More than 4,000 people have died in terrorist attacks in Iraq so far in 2013, with Baghdad province being the worst hit.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.