Militants kill 2 in Sinai security attack

An Egyptian security checkpoint in the Sinai Peninsula

Two people have been killed and six injured in a militant attack on a security forces checkpoint in the north of Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula.

On Tuesday night, militants used rocket-propelled grenades and heavy machine guns to attack the checkpoint in the remote village of Sadr El-Heytan, located in the center of North Sinai province, according to Egyptian security officials.

Hours earlier, militants clashed with security forces in the town of Rafah and attacked a police checkpoint in the same area.

On Sunday, a section of an Egyptian pipeline supplying gas to Israel and Jordan was blown up in the Lehfin area south of the city of al-Arish in the Sinai Peninsula.

The pipeline was attacked several times in 2011 and 2012, but this was the first time the energy link was attacked this year.

Eighty-four people were killed on Monday in clashes between supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi and security forces outside the Republican Guard headquarters in Cairo.

Egyptian Medical Syndicate spokesman Ahmed Lotfi said at a press conference in Cairo on Tuesday that there were two doctors among the dead.

He added that 1,000 people, including 7 doctors, were also injured.

Earlier, the Egyptian Ambulance Authority had said at least 51 people were killed and 435 were injured.

On Tuesday, pro-Morsi protesters staged a demonstration outside the Republican Guard headquarters.

Since last week, Egypt has been the scene of rival demonstrations and clashes between thousands of supporters and opponents of the ousted president.

Morsi is reportedly being held “preventively” by the military. Senior army officials say he might face formal charges over accusations made by his opponents.

Arrest warrants have been issued for a number of members of the Muslim Brotherhood.

By Press TV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.