Iranian man extradited to U.S. tried to buy plane parts-Xinhua

The Iranian man extradited by Cyprus to the U.S. on suspicion of violating United Nations sanctions on Iran had tried to purchase F4 and F5 plane parts in the U.S. and send them illegally to Iran, Xinhua reported, citing reports in two Cypriot newspapers on Saturday.

The extradition of the man has caused diplomatic tension, with Iran recalling its ambassador in Nicosia for consultations and the Cypriot government protesting that it did nothing more than implementing a court decision.

The Iranian, named as Saeid Mohabat, 45 years old, was arrested after his arrival at Larnaca airport on Oct. 27, 2012, on a tip-off by Interpol.

Alithia (Truth) newspaper, quoting from a 27-page decision issued on Feb. 15 by a court in Larnaca, said Mohabat was accused by American authorities of trying to purchase and send to Iran two pilot static tubes which measure air speed and help stabilize military planes.

He faced in the U.S. a total of four charges of illegal procurement and delivery to Iran of prohibited military equipment in violation of sanctions imposed on Iran by the U.N. Security Council.

Alithia said Mohabat was communicating through email and satellite phone with an American who posed as the supplier but who actually was an undercover agent named as Vladimir Belgara, stationed in San Francisco.

The Court decision also said another Iranian named as Safavi had masterminded the purchase of the plane parts and carried out negotiations by using Mohabat’s laptop and sending either emails or talking through Skype.

It added that he gave instructions to send the items to Iran with fake documents first via Tajikistan or Turkey and then via China or Brazil. During negotiations a purchase price of between 80,000 and 90,000 dollars was mentioned.

Politis (Citizen) newspaper, also quoting from court documents, said that in the process of negotiations with what appeared to be undercover agents, Mohabat was said to have expressed an interest in buying a total of 2,000 plane parts.

It said that Safavi paid $50,000 for the items purchased but they never arrived in Iran.

According to the decision of the Court, Safavi asked for the return of the money but when his suppliers refused to do so, he suggested meeting in Cyprus to sort out the issue.

However, he never arrived on the island, sending Saeid Mohabat instead.

Mohabat’s lawyers said in court that he had actually been trapped.

During the extradition hearing, Mohabat alleged that he did not know how to send an email or how to communicate through a computer, a claim which was rejected by the Court.

The Court also said it could not accept explanations he presented regarding the transfer of money from his bank account to the suppliers of the plane parts.

Politis said the Iranian embassy in Nicosia had asked to be handed Mohabat’s laptop but the request was turned down on the grounds that it was part of the evidence and should be handed to the American authorities along with the suspect.

Mohabat stayed in custody for about 40 days following the court decision before being handed to U.S. agents at the end of April.

By The Wall Street Journal


The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.