Photos:Tehran air pollution

Iran’s capital Tehran suffers from severe air pollution and the city is often covered by smog making breathing difficult and causing widespread pulmonary illnesses. It is estimated that about 27 people die each day from pollution-related diseases. According to local officials, 3,600 people died in a single month due to the hazardous air quality. 80% of the city’s pollution is due to cars.  The remaining 20% is due to industrial pollution. Other estimates suggest that motorcycles alone account for 30% of air and 50% of sound pollution in Tehran.

 

arash khamooshi (1 of 18)-5.jpg

arash khamooshi (2 of 18)-5.jpg

arash khamooshi (3 of 18)-5.jpg

arash khamooshi (4 of 18)-5.jpg

arash khamooshi (5 of 18)-5.jpg

arash khamooshi (7 of 18)-5.jpg

arash khamooshi (17 of 18)-7.jpg

arash khamooshi (18 of 18)-7.jpg

arash khamooshi (3 of 20)-3.jpg

arash khamooshi (1 of 20)-3.jpg

103-112.jpg

arash khamooshi (5 of 20)-3.jpg

102-124.jpg

By Huffington Post

By ISNA