Ali Akbar Velayati, the senior advisor to the Supreme Leader of Iran, has rejected reports about direct talks with U.S. officials, saying that Tehran has no decision to negotiate with Washington, the Mashreq website reported.
Last week, some news outlets, such as the Kalameh website, reported that Velayati had direct talks with U.S. officials.
Velayati said however the reports were unfounded and sheer lie.
On October 20, the New York Times cited Obama administration officials that the U.S. and Iran have agreed for the first time to one-on-one negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program.
The Times said the agreement was the result of secret exchanges between American and Iranian officials that date almost to the beginning of President Barack Obama’s term in 2009.
The United States and other Western powers have charged that Iran’s nuclear program is aimed at developing nuclear weapons, but Tehran insists the program is for peaceful purposes.
Velayati said in September that Iran’s policy toward relations with the United States is like the past and “no decision in regard to changing the policy has been taken.”
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.