Iran in talks with German officials to end occupation of ex-embassy in Bonn

FNA – The Iranian foreign ministry announced on Wednesday that it is in talks with German authorities to drive out the intruders who have occupied the country’s former embassy building in Bonn.

Around 60 protesters gathered in front of the former Iranian embassy in Bonn on Thursday. Some of them managed to gain entry to the building without permission.

“A number of people have entered the building and camped out there,” Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi told reporters in a press conference in Tehran today.

He added that the Iranian missions in Germany have held talks with the German police and municipality authorities after being informed of the move, noting that “proper and necessary reactions have been made”.

Qassemi expressed the hope that the occupation would end as soon as possible after agreements were made with the German officials.

According to reports, Iran’s former embassy on Godesberger Allee has been empty for almost ten years.

In an interview with the Koelner Stadt Anzeiger newspaper earlier this year, Wieland Muench, CEO of the Bonn-based Limbach real estate company, said that Tehran wanted some 3.5 million euros ($5.2 million) for its former embassy.

Embassies are not within German jurisdiction.