Number of injured in western Iran quake rises to 21

IRNA – The number of people injured in a 5.1-magnitude quake which hit Sar Pol-e Zahab city in the western province of Kermanshah on Saturday evening rose to 21, according to the head of the local medical treatment network.

Some 17 persons had sustained injuries in urban areas and the rest in rural areas, Maziar Tahmasebi told the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA).

He said that two of the injured had been transported to the provincial capital city of Kermanshah while the others had either been treated and released or were receiving medical services in Sarpol-e Zahab.

Five aftershocks ranging from 2.7 to 5.1 on the Richter scale shook Sarpol-e Zahab from 18:52 to 21:09 local time on Saturday.

The aftershocks were also felt in Gilan-e Gharb and Qasr-e Shirin cities, two other provincial cities.

On November 12, 2017, a deadly earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Richter Scale hit an area located 32 kilometers from Sarpol-e Zahab leaving 620 dead and 12,386 others wounded.

Since then, a total of 1,600 aftershocks have hit Kermanshah Province.
The quake inflicted damage on 10 cities and 1930 villages across the province.