Top military officials slam Haley’s claim on Yemeni missile

December 18, The Iran Project – Several top Iranian military officials blasted the recent remarks made by US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley about Iran’s missile support for Yemen’s Houthis.

Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Brigadier General Massoud Jazayeri as well as the spokesman for the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) General Ramezan Sharif in separate remarks denounced as absurd recent statements made by Haley.

Brigadier General Hatami said the ministry’s technical department plans to file a complaint with UN over Haley’s missile-related claim and ask for a part of the missile for further inspection.

“The enemies of the Islamic Republic can make any claims they want, but following our complaint, we will also ask to obtain a part of the missile to Iran so that we can declare our final judgment on the issue after inspecting the missile,” he added.

“Without inspection and from afar we cannot respond to the US claim, therefore Iran will soon file a complaint with United Nations over this matter,” he concluded.

Meanwhile, Jazayeri said this person’s comments have their roots in her lack of understanding of military issues.

“If the Americans had been informed of the high level of the Yemeni resistance’s missile technology, they would have refused to make such absurd comments,” the commander noted.

In another development, General  Sharif said “everyone knows” that Yemen possesses the technology to build long-range missiles.

General Sharif added that for nearly three years, Saudi Arabia has been dropping bombs on the Yemeni people and using weapons all of which are imported from the US and Europe.

On Thursday (Dec. 14), US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley appeared in a staged show in front of a large, charred tube that she claimed was “concrete evidence” that Iran was providing missiles to Yemen.

A Saudi Arabian-led coalition launched a war against Yemen in 2015 and has ever since been indiscriminately hitting targets in the country. Yemeni Houthi fighters have been firing missiles in retaliatory attacks against Saudi targets every now and then.

One such missile targeted a Riyadh airport on November 5. Following an apparently off-the-cuff remark by US President Donald Trump, who said that in his “opinion,” the missile had been an Iranian “shot,” Saudi officials scrambled to blame Iran.