Military sites inspection case closed forever

MNA – Behrouz Kamalvandi, Deputy Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said that the dossier of inspecting Iranian military sites was closed forever.

“Unfortunately, Reuters distorted what Mr. Amano said about Iranian military sites and created a media hype while what Amano said was that there was no military subject mentioned in the JCPOA,” said Behrouz Kamalvandi, Deputy Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) for International Affairs on Saturday.

The Iranian official underlined that inspection of military sites not only has been discussed in the JCPOA, but also there is no reference to it in IAEA safeguards and Additional Protocol.

“The agency can request to inspect a site and the permit is handed out but if the place is a military site with no nuclear activity the request is irrelevant and it’s not just about military venues but there are so many other locations in this category,” reiterated the Iranian official.

“When there is no nuclear activity at a site, there is no reason to enter that place,” asserted Mr. Kamalvandi, “in the past couple of years, there had been baseless news propaganda that Parchin military site was home to nuclear activities and we were finally forced to put an end to this issue and the file was adjourned and the board of governors approved it.”

He opined that the intention behind the media hype about Parchin military site is to create an atmosphere apt to formation of opposition voices in Iran which would make up an excuse for new requests. “Inspecting military sites is a distraction,” commented the Iranian official.

“Our nuclear activities are limited to the sites which we have introduced to the IAEA and we should watch out not to fall in these media hypes as the agency is not concerned with military venues,” delineated the AEOI spokesperson.

He stated that the IAEA follows its professional agenda independently and accurately with giving in to no political pressure.