Tasnim – US Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz said the 2015 nuclear agreement between Tehran and six world powers is “working”, saying that Iran has removed “excess centrifuges” from the country’s Fordow nuclear site in compliance with the terms of the agreement.
“On the one year anniversary of implementing the Iran nuclear deal, Iran successfully met the milestone of removing excess centrifuges and infrastructure from Fordow, demonstrating that the deal continues to limit Iran’s nuclear program so as to provide confidence that Iran is not developing a nuclear weapon and maintain at least a one year breakout time,” Moniz said in a statement published on the official website of the US Department of Energy on Monday.
It came on the first anniversary of coming into force of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Actions (JCPOA), the nuclear agreement Tehran and the Group 5+1 (Russia, China, the US, Britain, France, and Germany) reached in July 2015 and implemented in January last year.
“The JCPOA is grounded in strong technical analysis provided by DOE scientists, including at our national laboratories, and supported by unprecedented IAEA verification measures,” he added.
“The JCPOA’s verification measures ensure that the Fordow materials and all others covered by the JCPOA will remain under IAEA monitoring.”
“One year after Implementation Day, the Iran nuclear deal is working, increasing regional and global security,” Moniz further said.