Intelligence Minister: Iran stands on guard against possible terrorist attacks in election season

FNA- Iranian Intelligence Minister Seyed Mahmoud Alavi underlined that the country’s armed and security forces are prepared to foil any possible plots by the terrorist groups during the upcoming presidential election.

“The terrorist groups attempt to misuse such occasions (election), but the Iranian security forces have not allowed them to do so,” Alavi said, addressing a forum in Tehran on Saturday.

“Despite the fact that the terrorists have been able to carry out terrorist acts in many countries, they have failed to conduct similar actions in the Islamic Republic of Iran so far,” he added.

Iran will hold its next presidential and city council elections in May 2017. This will be the first time that the two elections are to be done on one day.

The Guardian Council, a body of clerics and jurists that oversees elections, said in a letter to the interior ministry in July that it had agreed on a date of May 19 proposed by the ministry.

A senior military official said late last month that the Iranian security and Armed Forces discover and thwart from 15 to 20 terrorist attempts and threats every year.

“The enemy never stops its hostility and annually, between 15 to 20 cases of terrorist threats, including suicide and blast attempts and the like, are discovered and defused in the country and these (threats) sometimes increase to 30 cases a year,” Head of the Ground Operations Department of the General Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Brigadier General Seyed Morteza Mirian said in an interview with the stat-run TV.

hit tracker