FNA- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi on Tuesday strongly condemned Monday’s terrorist attack on a Christmas market in Berlin, killing and injuring tens of people.
Qassemi sympathized with the families of the victims of the terrorist attack and renewed Iran’s determination to confront extremism and violence with the aim of fully uprooting the disgusting phenomenon of terrorism.
The Iranian foreign ministry spokesman expressed the hope that there would be no such incidents in future.
Qassemi underlined the need for solidarity and unity among all the world nations and governments to launch a continued, targeted and sincere fight against terrorism, and said, “This (fight) is crucial and important for uprooting terrorism.”
A man rammed a 7-ton truck into a crowded Christmas market in the heart of Berlin on Monday evening, killing 12 people and injuring 48 others.
The assailant was identified by German media as a 23-year-old refugee of Pakistani origin who arrived in Germany via the “Balkan route”.
The suspect has been named as Naved B. who was registered as an asylum seeker in February this year.
Police and security sources said the report also said the Pakistani man could have used a fake ID and an alias.
DPA news agency said Naved B. came to Germany via the so-called ‘Balkan route’, a popular passageway for refugees spanning between the Aegean Sea and Central Europe. The suspect was reportedly known to police for minor offenses.
The suspect has also had a German temporary residence permit since June 2016, Die Welt reported, citing police.
Die Welt daily reported that the original driver of the truck, a Polish man, had been shot dead prior to the attack. Regional police officials said he was a victim, not a perpetrator.
A Polish haulier, who also was a cousin of the victim and owner of the truck, said he lost contact with the driver on Monday at 4pm local time, according to the newspaper. It is still unclear how the Pakistani suspect managed to get into the truck.